3.31.2012

my thoughts on tanning.

Okay, if you are one of those people who do not like rants, click that little X button in the corner because I don't want you to be offended. Or read on, I don't care really I guess.
 
But anyway.




 
Today's post is about something that is really near and dear to my heart.
 
Tanning. Or Melanoma/Skin Cancer.
 
One of my family friends just passed away yesterday from a very, very extreme case of Melanoma.
 
So before I go on with this post first let me explain what exactly Melanoma is. Okay?
Melanoma is the most dangerous type of skin cancer. It is the leading cause of death from skin disease.
 
Melanoma is not as common as other types of skin cancer. However, the rate of melanoma is steadily increasing as the years go on. Whether it is because of the use of tanning beds, or what, it's increasing. Though the risk of melanoma increases with age it has also been frequently seen in young people. So yes, that means that YOU are suseptable to getting it as well.


Here are some risk factors.

•Have fair skin, blue or green eyes, or red or blond hair
•Live in sunny climates or at high altitudes
•Spent a lot of time in high levels of strong sunlight, because of a job or other activities
•Have had one or more blistering sunburns during childhood
and...
•Use tanning devices

Okay, there's the background. But do you fully understand what I am saying here? Okay, lets look at some of the symptoms, will we...
1. Tumors.
2. Fatigue.
3. Irregular moles and your body starts to become weak.
4. Death






That's right. Death. So those of you who think that it is "No Big Deal" to go out and tan for prom, just do some reasearch, look at some pictures, understand exactly what you are doing to your body. Especially those of you who are fair skinned.


I am seeing so many girls lately tanning like CRAZY. And though I am not going to judge them for tanning, it is ultimately their choice, but I do feel like they need to be thouroughly informed on what exactly they are doing to thier bodies. It really makes me sick when I see someone tan every day. It only takes ONE time to get skin cancer, and people do not understand that.

Yes, you look good tan, sure. But I'm pretty sure you'll look better alive.

Not to mention how many wrinkles you will have.

I don't know, I know I'll get a lot of dispute over this post, but I really don't care. I am posting this because I care about each and every single one of you reading this. 




I just keep thinking about that family friend that lost her life too early to stage 3 melanoma. She had TWELVE yes, twelve brain tumors at ONCE because of this cancer. 

I don't know, maybe I worry too much, or care too much. Take it as you may. 

Let me know your thoughts. And google pictures, I didn't want to put them in this post because they are a little nasty, but if you really want to see what happens, check it out. 

Rest in peace, Genia. 


 
Photobucket
Photobucket

17 comments:

  1. Amen, girl. I live in Arizona where the sun gets CRAZY and my friends are nuts about tanning. Especially since it is pre-summer/prom season. It really just is not worth it. You said it perfect. So sorry for your loss.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much for this post! I think it is very important for people to know the implications of tanning! Especially with how good of quality some of the faux tanning products are today! Many fake tans no longer leave you with that orange look, especially when used in moderation! A spray tan a day or two before prom will leave you with the same results as a tanning booth every day for a week and it is so much better for your health!
    That being said, I don't use either products, I am more than happy to rock my beautiful pale colored skin!

    xo
    Angela
    www.fluentbeauty.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. When people see how pale I am and I tell them I'm from Florida, I get a lot of funny looks. I've had so many people in my family diagnosed with skin cancer, it's ridiculous! Luckily I don't personally know anyone that has died from it, but why would you want to risk it? If that is one type of cancer you can almost entirely avoid, why wouldn't you?
    To be honest, I think overly tanned girls look fake anyway. A little colour isn't awful, but most people look good with the colour they were born with!
    xo Heather
    http://ahopelessnotebook.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. great post! there really is no need to expose your self to danger just to get a tan when so many fake tans are there and look just as good. I remember reading an article about wearing your bikini whist you fake tan so you have those 'realistic' white bits. You can see when someone tans too much, they just look awful, i'd never want to do that to myself.

    ReplyDelete
  5. So true. Thanks for having the courage to make this post. I've been guilty of laying out every once in a while to get a little color, but regret it every time even though I don't burn. Skin cancer (or any cancer) is scary, and I don't want my family and friends to see me die just because I wanted to "look better". Fair skin is beautiful too! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sorry for your loss!

    I personally have had melanoma 3 times in my life and I am only 21! Mine are hereditary though, not from sun exposure. And I am the typical fair skin light hair girl!
    Hope you can get through your pain. :(

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sorry for your loss!

    I personally have had melanoma 3 times so far in my life and I am only 21! They have been hereditary though, not from sun exposure. I avoided sun burns and tanning a lot as a kid to avoid getting cancer because it runs in my family, but I still ended up with it anyway.

    Hope you are doing well and can get through your pain...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Being a redheaded ginger, I can not tan. Physically can not. I just burn and get freckles. It really sickens me how much girls spend in the tanning beds and accuse me of being ugly because I'm so white. In fact, I've just become whiter by staying indoors to not burn.

    Great post.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Totally agree with you Rach! You won't ever catch me in one of those fake bath tanning machines. I may be really pale but like you said, I'd rather be alive and healthy than tan. Keep it girl! <3

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm naturally ran because of my heratige.
    Spay tans and tanning beds don't look good on people :(

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow-- I agree!! Showing love from the www.thecraftyreporter.blogspot.com!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I've always wanted to be tan... but now, I'd rather not! My mom always tells me that being pale is a sign of being healthy. And I think some clothes looks better on me since I am so white!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm very sorry for your loss Rach. I couldn't agree with you more! I've had several family members with skin cancer and am a fair freckled girl myself. SPF50 is my bff!

    ReplyDelete
  14. ahhh you sound like me... No thank you to leather skin.

    ReplyDelete
  15. i am sorry for your loss but i do think its bull crap that the second picture you used is a picture of two african american girls. if you are against tanning use real pics showing what tanning does to your skin not a pic of two girls who have naturally dark skin.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. it honestly did not cross my mind that those girls were african american. i am still not even sure. i have seen girls that have looked like that from tanning, i was not trying to offend anyone. and regardless, it is a picture of two girls tanning, being african american or not. again, sorry to offend you and i hope you understand what i mean.

      Delete

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment on the blog! I will try to respond to as many comments as possible. If you would like a quicker response, please email me (rachg.423@gmail.com) or tweet me (@sohirach)!