4.08.2011

Blood?


Hey guys, I really didn't have anything interesting to post so I decided that I should try to help out one of the great causes here in the US of A. :) Today at our school we had our SECOND blood drive this year with the American Red Cross. This is also my second time giving blood, the first time was in January. I would've done it sooner, but I am still only 16 so I haven't really had the chance. But I was thinking, maybe if I post about how good it feels afterwards to know you are saving lives (up to 3, actually) some of you will go out and give! :)

Giving blood really isn't as bad as some people think it is, the first time I did it I was absolutely TERRIFIED. I thought I was going to pass out or vomit at the sight of blood and a needle. The only reason I really did it was because I figured that I should at least try and not be selfish with my good heath, so I went and faced my fears even though I really didn't want to do it at all. But I did, and I am glad that I made that choice! 
Now, since I know what is going on I feel so much more comfortable and happy with my decision. But if that doesn't convince you guys, let me throw in some facts. 


  • Every two seconds someone in the U.S. needs blood.
  • More than 38,000 blood donations are needed every day.
  • A total of 30 million blood components are transfused each year in the U.S.
  • The average red blood cell transfusion is approximately 3 pints.
  • The blood type most often requested by hospitals is Type O.
  • The blood used in an emergency is already on the shelves before the event occurs.
  • Sickle cell disease affects more than 80,000 people in the U.S., 98 percent of whom are African American. Sickle cell patients can require frequent blood transfusions throughout their lives.
  • More than 1 million new people are diagnosed with cancer each year. Many of them will need blood, sometimes daily, during their chemotherapy treatment.
  • A single car accident victim can require as many as 100 pints of blood.
So, if you aren't convinced  by those numbers I don't know how to convince you. It is ultimately your choice and the Red Cross does a wonderful job of letting people know that. But I think that you should at least try it and see how you can handle it, especially if you are a healthy person. If you do decide to donate you can schedule an appointment here at your nearest hospital. Not to mention you get prizes when you donate so many pints. ;)

Have a great weekend! :)

3 comments:

  1. You are also inspirational! I'm following and would love to see you around as well :) x

    myheartstumbles.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Rach, Your blog is great, so I am happy to become a follower. I would like to have you as a follower too.

    Steph: www.teamscbydo.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for donating! I'm a big advocate for blood donations (seeing as a I give blood almost every week and they have to throw it away).I'll find a blood bank who accepts Hemochromatosis donations at some point.

    Not only does it help people, but it's actually healthy for your body too! If you're not anemic. Keep it up!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment on the blog! I will try to respond to as many comments as possible. If you would like a quicker response, please email me (rachg.423@gmail.com) or tweet me (@sohirach)!